The holidays are the perfect time to open a special bottle of wine for an elegant meal or to share with friends at a party. Here are some fantastic wines that are perfect for any festive occasion.
Texas Heritage Vineyard
This winery in Fredericksburg, Texas has gained great acclaim for its excellent wines. It has just been awarded two Champion Class Awards at the Houston Rodeo Uncorked 2022! An international wine competition for wines that would make Santa even pinker.
- 2018 Stella Solitaria was recognized as a champion class and a champion class Texas with a double gold medal. This “super Tuscan” blend of Sangiovese, Barbera and Cabernet Sauvignon grown on the Texas High Plains means “Lone Star” in Italian. It is a wonderful wine with a clear taste of cherries and red plums carried with lively acidity and light tannins for a smooth finish. It is a perfect holiday gift and a beautiful accompaniment to roast goose.
- 2019 Alicante Bouschet was recognized as a reserve champion of the Texas class with a silver medal (he also won double gold at the Harvest Terroir Challenge 2021 and the Texas class champion at the 2022 San Antonio Rodeo Wine Competition). This wine is bold as a group singing Christmas carols on your front porch, made from 100% Alicante Bouschet grapes grown on the Texas Heritage Vineyard Estate in Texas Hill Country. Its taste is enforced by layers of juicy blueberries and back cherries with warm baking spices and dark chocolate at the end. It is sure to delight the crowds at every holiday party and is great for Wellington beef for Christmas dinner.
Kerrville Hills Winery
Overlooking the beautiful Texas Highlands near Kerrville, the hilltop winery has recently released fabulous red wines that sing angels. Both of these wines are part of the Holiday Bundle winery.
- 2019 Zinfandel is made from grapes grown at Reddy Vineyards in the Texas High Plains. This medium-bodied wine is decorated with halls flavored with cherry jam, plums, blueberries, anise and black pepper with silky tannins. The fruity taste and liveliness of this wine make it a festive treat with quail baked in butter with cornbread stuffing.
- 2019 Petite Sirah is made from grapes grown at Newsom Vineyards in the Texas High Plains. One sip of this ink-dark wine and the vision of sugar plums will dance in your head. It is delicious with the taste of large blackberries and blueberries mixed with spices and licorice. Each elf puts down his utensils to enjoy in conjunction with roast pork loin with roasted mushrooms.
Fall Creek Vineyards
This famous winery has put the Texas wine industry on the map and has earned international recognition since the 1980s. She has just released a stellar line of beautiful wines that will impress your most discerning friends on your gift list. Their holiday package is on their website.
- 2019 Carignan, selection of winemakers, is made from grapes grown at the Oxbow Estate Vineyard in Driftwood. The expression of cedar and cinnamon in the scent of Carignan will warm your senses before inviting you to enjoy the juicy flavors of strawberries and cranberries. It is an elegant wine with a medium body and a delicious balance of fruit and structure, which goes incredibly well with roasted turkey.
- 2018 Mourvèdre, Vintners Selection, Salt Lick Vineyards. This wine highlights light strawberry, cherry and fresh spices, followed by the taste of raspberries, plums, spices, a touch of cardamom and a well-integrated acidity combined with fine tannins. This is a shining star paired with roasted lamb sprinkled with Susan Auler rosemary.
These are just a few wineries that offer special wines for your holiday season.